Sunday, October 6, 2013

Welcoming our Pastoral Ministry Leaders

Commissioning Service for Pastoral Care Ministry Leaders
6th October 2013

At Thursday’s Church Meeting we agreed our new structure for Highbury.

At its heart is a vision …

That Highbury should be a place to
Share Christian friendship,
Explore Christian faith and
Enter into Christian Mission
With Christ at the centre
And open to all.

As people feel at home in our church family and share a faith in God and in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour we very much hope they will become fully part of our church as church members and be involved in one or more areas of church life in what they do and in prayer … everyone has a part to play including those not able to get out and be active through prayer.

In all we do as Church members our aim is to Love the Lord our God with all our soul, with all our mind and with all our strength and to love our neighbour as ourselves.  In all we seek to do we rejoice in the forgiving love of God, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, knowing that when we fail we do not give up but go on in the strength of God.

Church Members, meeting together at our regular Church meeting shape Church life and set the future direction of Church life here at Highbury.

In our new way of doing things we are going to put in place a team of Ministry Leaders who will be Church Members who are called and gifted to serve the whole Church and to lead a particular area of Church Life.

It is great that we have people who are willing to serve the church in all six areas of church life we have identified.  Over the next three weeks the Deacons will be interviewing people for the post of Worship Ministry Leader, Youth Ministry Leader, Discipleship Ministry Leader and Mission and Outreach Mission Leader.  Carolyn, our children’s worker will become our Children’s Ministry Leader.

Knowing that David and Betty, Phil and Joyce were going to finish co-ordinating our visiting scheme we followed through our new process and at our July Church Meeting appointed Lorraine Gasside and Diana Adams to do a job share and be our Pastoral Ministry leaders.

Today we welcome them and commission them to that work.

It is good for us to remember that all who belong to the Church of Jesus Christ are called to serve one another in his name.

Jesus calls us all to share in a life of discipleship: it is for us all to respond to that call in faithful obedience.

Jesus said, “If one of you wants to be great, he must be the servant of the rest.

Lord Jesus, we hear your call: help us to follow

Jesus said, “If I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have set you an example.

Lord Jesus, we hear your call: help us to follow

Jesus said, “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Lord Jesus, we hear your call: help us to follow

Jesus said: “Go to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples and I will be with you always, to the end of the world.”

Lord Jesus, we hear your call: help us to follow.

You have redeemed us and called us to your service:
Give us grace to hear your word and to obey your commandment
For your mercy’s sake.
Amen.

As we belong to the fellowship of the Church, we all have a part to play in the life of the Church.

Together with all who proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord we are a royal priesthood, God’s own people.  We are all called by God to proclaim the mighty acts of him who called us out of darkness into h is marvellous light and to live out in our lives the love of him who first loved us.

We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; the exhorter, in exhortation; the giver in generosity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness.

We rejoice today that Lorraine and Diana are to be commissioned as Pastoral Ministry Leaders

We have called you as a Church to build up Christian friendship through pastoral care that is open to all and seeks to meet the needs of each.

We have asked you
to build on our current pastoral care network of visitors
to develop pastoral care that responds to specific needs
to identify and respond to those in need of pastoral support.
to help people in Church to provide pastoral support, with care and sensitivity, to individuals or groups through training
to provide prayer support through prayer network, in Sunday services , prayer meeting and in other ways
to develop links with and involvement in the hospital chaplaincy team

Diana, I ask you to reaffirm your profession of faith:

Do you believe in God and in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?

I do

Do you promise, as you are able, to fulfil the responsibilities of Pastoral Care Ministry Leader jointly with Lorraine here at Highbury

With God’s help, I do so promise.

In the name of Jesus Christ and on the authority of the Church Meeting I extend to you the right hand of fellowship recognising that God has called you to serve the fellowship of the Church here at Highbury as Pastoral Ministry Leader.


Lorraine, I ask you to reaffirm your profession of faith:

Do you believe in God and in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?

I do

Do you promise, as you are able, to fulfil the responsibilities of Pastoral Care Ministry Leader jointly with Diana here at Highbury

With God’s help, I do so promise.

In the name of Jesus Christ and on the authority of the Church Meeting I extend to you the right hand of fellowship recognising that God has called you to serve the fellowship of the Church here at Highbury as Pastoral Ministry Leader.


May God richly bless you in the ministry which you now share with us all.

In all you do take to heart the words of Paul in Ephesians 4:1-7 and  11-13

I urge you, then—I who am a prisoner because I serve the Lord: live a life that measures up to the standard God set when he called you.   Be always humble, gentle, and patient. Show your love by being tolerant with one another. 3 Do your best to preserve the unity which the Spirit gives by means of the peace that binds you together. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as there is one hope to which God has called you. 5 There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 there is one God and Father of all people, who is Lord of all, works through all, and is in all.
7 Each one of us has received a special gift in proportion to what Christ has given.

It was he who “gave gifts to people”; he appointed some to be apostles, others to be prophets, others to be evangelists, others to be pastors and teachers. 12 He did this to prepare all God's people for the work of Christian service, in order to build up the body of Christ. 13 And so we shall all come together to that oneness in our faith and in our knowledge of the Son of God; we shall become mature people, reaching to the very height of Christ's full stature.

The story of Jairus’s Daughter and the Woman on the Way
Jesus took three with him and the girl’s parents

A Hy-Spirit Song

Offering and Dedication

Fun activities for all over 3

Not alone in all we do

I once read an article by a Social Worker who worked over in Oxford.   He was passionate about Social Work, passionate about helping people, passionate about making a difference.

He spoke movingly of his job – he felt what he was doing was representing wider society and acting as it were for the wider community in helping, in caring, in making a difference.

What he said rang true for me and particularly for the part of my work that has to do with pastoral care.

I am passionate about the pastoral ministry I share.  I am passionate about helping people.  I am passionate about making a difference.

In many ways I can see the point of what he went on to say about ‘representing society’.

It’s much the same in church.

In pastoral care, when I visit I feel that I am representing the wider Church family here at Highbury and acting as it were for the wider community of our church family in helping, in caring, in making a difference.

I feel passionate about what I do.

Everybody who has shared in pastoral care in the life of the church here at Highbury, I sense, has shared something of that passion.

As I arrived Olga and Joan co-ordinated our visiting scheme, and then Phil and Joyce, David and Betty, took on that work.  Through the years as we have met as Church visitors there’s a very real sense that we are all sharing in that work.

It was wonderful when Lorraine and Diana came forward to offer to do a job share as our Pastoral Care Ministry Leaders – they are as passionate as anyone about pastoral care, passionate about helping people, passionate about making a difference.

And very much part of our church family.

Very easy to go with that article on Social work and see what our Pastoral Care Ministry Leaders are doing as representing the wider Church family here at Highbury and acting as it were for the wider community of our church family in helping, in caring, in making a difference.

That sense of being part of a wider community gives the kind of framework that anyone involved in any kind of caring needs.  The sense of being part of a wider organisation, a wider team.  Good to know that the work of caring is shared by that wider community and what you are doing is helping to make that wider community’s care more effective.

All that applies in any kind of caring will apply in seeking to carry out pastoral care in a church context too – the importance of knowing our limits, when we can refer to elsewhere for help, knowing that there are others who are part of that team in caring in a church family too.

BUT

And for me it is a very real BUT!!

And I share it with you at the point at which you are taking on this particular role in the life of the Church family here.

For me there is an extra dimension in the pastoral care I feel very much called to, that kind of pastoral ministry that you are taking on in the life of the church here at Highbury.

It is something very specific to the faith we share.  It is something that everyone of us who is involved in caring in whatever context that may be would do well to remember and bring to mind.

It is what I would find would sustain me if I were in the shoes of that Social Worker and it makes for me the difference between finding this kind of work ‘do-able’ and finding this kind of work simply overwhelming.

In pastoral care I am passionate about helping, I am passionate about caring, I am passionate about making a difference,  I do feel I am part of a wider church family and so representing that wider caring church family … but there is something more as well.

I sense that the love and the care I am seeking to share is the love that God is sharing.  There is a presence with me, a strength I can draw on to sustain what I am doing.

I feel I am in the position of those three friends of Jesus as they arrived in Jairus’s house.

When Jesus came to the house Peter, James and John went in with him.

Pastoral care is about going into see someone knowing that Jesus is present there as well.

All through the conversation, all through all that I share, I want to hold on to that picture.  That Jesus is there – it is his love reaching out to this person and his love reaching out to me – it is his love reaching out to us.  Through the words and the care I show it is the love Jesus has that is the care that matters, the help that counts, and it’s that love of Jesus that can make all the difference.

Sometimes, one of the great privileges of pastoral care that I have had over the years is that people have asked me in to share with them as someone is very ill indeed, maybe in hospital.  I would love to stay.  But I cannot.  As I come away, in my mind’s eye, I sense that I may come away but Jesus remains.  He is still there.  In my mind’s eye I can see myself leaving at the door maybe of the ward – and I say one more fare well, good bye – God be with you.  And there is a sense in my mind that God in Jesus remains even as I leave.

I find bringing that mental picture to mind a help.

But it is not just a picture.

There is a very real sense that this is something real.

And it is where we cannot sustain such a ministry as this without a strong sense of the reality of the Holy Spirit, what gives our faith its real three dimensional feel to oit.

John 14:15-19 and 25-27

“If you love me, you will obey my commandments. 16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, who will stay with you forever. 17 He is the Spirit, who reveals the truth about God. The world cannot receive him, because it cannot see him or know him. But you know him, because he remains with you and is  in you.
18 “When I go, you will not be left all alone; I will come back to you. 19 In a little while the world will see me no more, but you will see me; and because I live, you also will live.

 “I have told you this while I am still with you. 26 The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.
27 “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.

I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, who will stay with you forever … When I go you will not be left all alone

This is the wonderful promise I hold on to in the pastoral ministry I share.

This is the wonderful promise to hold on to as you take up this role of Pastoral Minsitry Leaders here at Highbury.

This is the wonderful promise for each of us to hold on to whenever we are involved in caring for others.

360       Father, hear the prayer we offer

Two sides of the same coin

One of the ideas we have in setting up the new framework for the life of our church is to really build up that sense we have of sharing in a team ministry, and sharing together in the work we do in the life of the church.

That’s very much at the heart of our pastoral care.

Diana is going to share an invitation to an evening in a couple of weeks time when we shall be exploring how we may together develop the pastoral care we share in church.

Diana

How can we release that sense of the presence of God with us – we do that through prayer.  Lorraine has been co-ordinating our prayer chain and will say a few words about that as well.

Lorraine

A team of pastoral carers and prayer – are two sides of the same coin

Song     In Christ alone - Hy-Spirit

            Prayers of Concern

373       What a friend we have in Jesus

            Words of Blessing


No comments:

So much to pass on at Highbury

If you give a little love you can get a little love of your own

A blessing shared at Highbury

Now and the Future at Highbury

Dreaming Dreams Sharing Visions at Highbury

Dreaming Dreams Sharing Visions

Darkness into Light